Re: possible error -- commit error due to http URL

Hi,

Tommi Vainikainen <tvainika@gmail.com> wrote:
> Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de> writes:
> > Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> >> Maybe try it on one of the old, unsupported releases, like lenny?
> >
> > Yeah, that's a great idea!
>
> Hi,
>
> what is the status of this? I was about to update translation, but when
> checking the links, I noticed that the old one works and after your
> changes links in English pages are broken. Is there something still
> ongoing, or should the test changes be reverted?

Yes, this work in progress.
Time for a status report :-)

I made two different attempts to correct the error:

On the install manual for Lenny I swapped two arguments when calling the
"permute_as_matrix_new" perl script, see
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/releases/lenny/installmanual.wml?r1=1.5&r2=1.6
But that leads to the whole links being broken (no links at all).
Can be seen at
https://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/installmanual.en.html

After that, I tried to use the old "permute_as_matrix" script instead
of "permute_as_matrix_new" for the Etch installmanual, see
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/releases/etch/installmanual.wml?r1=1.4&r2=1.5
(based on the fact, that the new "permute_as_matrix_new" probably never
worked correctly at all, all releases since Sarge have broken file names,
all that use "permute_as_matrix_new").
This can be seen here:
https://www.debian.org/releases/etch/installmanual.en.html

In that variant, the links now have the correct names
(install.de.pdf for example), but there is no target file now
with that name, link gives 404.
Changing the URL to install.pdf.de by hand finds the file.
So there is now another issue, that the files itself are still
wrongly named on the server.
Don't know how to fix that...

Another question:
even if someone knows how to change the direct file names:
should we switch from "permute_as_matrix_new" back to
"permute_as_matrix"?
It's not clear to me, what has been the rational for this transition
that days.

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/template/debian/release.wml?view=log
rev. 1.30: the log message says:
reimplementation of the permute_as_matrix function which moves much of
the slight differences between each release to the caller so that we
don't need to change the function constantly. Until further testing
and changing of all calls to the function let the new version coexist
with the old one as permute_as_matrix_new

Don't know how to proceed :-(

I will revert the first changing on the Lenny installmanual, since that
has absolutely no benefit.

Holger

Created with Sylpheed 3.2.0 under
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   7 . 0   W H E E Z Y !