Re: Wiki authentification [Was: Summary from the debian www/wiki BoF at DC14]

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Fabien Givors (Debian) wrote:

> Since the question of authentication is on the table (and sorry if it
> has already been asked, I didn't find any thread related to that on
> d-www), I was wondering why the different wikis (wiki, debconf, maybe
> others) each have their own accounts for non-dd contributors.

The reasons are mainly historical.

> The problem for DD (and for alioth members IIUC) appears to be solved by
> SSO. But for contributors, I see no plan of centralizing accounts.

The ultimate situation is to merge all of the user databases
(including wiki.d.o, alioth.d.o, wiki.dc.o, db.dc.o etc) into
db.debian.org.

> I was wondering if using (for example) alioth as a central account
> manager for *all* (non-dd?) contributors was not done:
>
> a) because someone has to do it (and it depends on SSO being enabled),

Probably the biggest one.

> b) for technical/political reasons,

There were some of these in the past, many are gone now.

> c) because signing in alioth is a couple more clicks harder than signing
> in a wiki,

I think the procedures are approximately equivalent.

> d) because migrating all the existing accounts would be (more or less)
> impossible,

It should be doable to some extent at least.

> e) some other reason I haven't thought of.

All our existing user databases were created because we had no SSO
solution and it was easier to just go with what was available at the
time.

--
bye,
pabs