Re: page http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

On 15/04/13 07:45 AM, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As posted in http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/03/msg01247.html
>
> Looking at page http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration I see 2 different syntaxes for vlan raw device. One uses dashes, vlan-raw-device, the other underscores, vlan_raw_device.
>
> I had underscores in my /etc/network/interfaces config and it did not work.
> I changed it to dashes and it did work. So it seems there are not just 2 options but one is plain wrong.
>
> Can someone make sure that page gets modified?
> As that page is the top ranking page when looking for Debian vlan it seems this page had better be correct.

First, it's a wiki. Anyone can edit to make it right, so I encourage you
to do so (just register an account; anonymous editing is not allowed).

Second, great that you figured out what makes it work empirically, but
better yet (and especially when writing secondary documentation like
this page) is to check the documentation that ships with the package, in
this case 'man vlan-interfaces' (from the vlan package) which clearly
says the option name is vlan-raw-device.

Third, it may be a bit late to change this now, as the vlan package has
existed for a very long time, but I find it annoying that all other
/etc/network/interfaces parameters use underscores whereas this one uses
dashes. That is bound to cause confusion when users make the wrong
assumption that all parameters would adhere to some consistent
convention. I'd consider that a minor bug on vlan and encourage you to
file it, citing the broken wiki page and your experience as examples of
why using dashes was a bad idea.

Thanks for your attention to this issue,
Ben