Current Roadblocks to transitioning from CVS to git

I'd like to get a better understanding of what needs to be done for us
to switch away from CVS to git.

1. Can someone please point me at a document which describes the current
translator workflow? [I'd basically like to know which scripts
absolutely have to be modified to work with git immediately, and which
it would be nice to have.]

2. What other areas have scripts that need to be modified in order to
show that they can work with git?

Assuming that no one has any specific objections, I'd like to codify
this all into a serious of bugs so that the progress to switching to git
can be tracked and we/I know what actually needs to be done.

[In a previous message to the list,[1] I indicated a full git checkout
would be about 500M, so we don't need to consider submodules.]

I'm especially interested in this because I plan on totally revamping
the BTS documentation, and I'd like to do that with the preservation of
history; I'm certain that there are other sections of the website which
would also benefit from git's ability to reorganize easily.

1: http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2012/09/msg00016.html

life's not a paragraph
And death i think is no parenthesis
 -- e.e. cummings "Four VII" _is 5_