Re: Donations to Debian are too difficult

Hi, Simon!

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Simon Paillard <spaillard@debian.org> wrote:
> However, the problem is that SPI / click&pledge applies mainly to US donators
> (example ffis is best for european donators).

That's not quite true, I'm from Bulgaria and it was much easier for me
to donate by credit card than by SEPA bank transfer.

> The fact Debian doesn't have a PayPal account (if confirmed ? I have no idea)
> could be added to http://www.debian.org/donations to avoid Debian users from
> being abused.

The SPI page already mentions this on
http://www.spi-inc.org/donations/ , below the click&pledge button. If
your suggested solution with the anchor link is implemented, though,
it will make sense to add it to the donations page.

>> A relatively easy solution could be to move the clickandpledge.com
>> button (from http://www.spi-inc.org/donations/ ) directly to
>> debian.org's homepage with a short description to select the Debian
>> project from the list.
>
> This could be https://co.clickandpledge.com/advanced/default.aspx?wid=34115#DonationName_4
> However a stable anchor name may be safer, can SPI board member request that ?

This works, kind of. There's the small issue that you have to scroll
up to see your cart after you add an item (it doesn't stay on the
screen, so when you click the anchored link you won't even know it's
there). It would be great if the cart was displayed after you add an
item to it.

>> If it's possible to accept PayPal, an even better solution would be to just
>> use PayPal's donate button, thus most users will only need one click and
>> their PayPal password, avoiding the point where most users abort their
>> payments (the credit card details entry form). I understand if there's an
>> ideological reason to not accept PayPal, but neither Debian nor SPI said
>> anything about it.
>
> That's a good question for debian-project.

I bet they have a good reason, let's wait and see :)
--
Best Regards,
Vladislav Zorov