Re: Fwd: debian live usb - What do I download?

On 26/02/13 03:04 PM, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> [...]

No, it simply means that when you boot each live media, that is what
desktop you get to use. Of course, this may be changed after you install
Debian if you like. But the simplest way is to choose your preferred
desktop at install time which, in the case of these live images, means
choosing the corresponding image.

> 4 - I see "CD/DVD/USB (via BitTorrent)". Below it, I click the 'amd64'
> link. I'm taken here:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/
>
> 5 - On that page I'm presented with the following list:
>
> debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso.torrent
> debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-kde-desktop.iso.torrent
> debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-lxde-desktop.iso.torrent
> debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-rescue.iso.torrent
> debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-standard.iso.torrent
> debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-xfce-desktop.iso.torrent
>
> What do I download? Can't I decide on desktop later? Why do all Linux
> sites seem to talk around subjects without really saying anything?

Since GNOME is the default desktop, if you can't decide, just go with
that. Perhaps http://www.debian.org/CD/live/ should mention this. Also,
it might be worth mentioning on other CD pages like
http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/ that link to a big pile of files to
choose from. On the other hand, rather than repeating this info
everywhere, it might be better to mention it once, e.g. at
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/ which is linked from both pages.

I'll take some time to review everywhere that we link to a directory
full of files to choose from without explanation and see what we can do
to make it less confusing.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ben