Re: wiki.debian.org password reset

On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 02:28:20AM +0000, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 12:57:38PM +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> > What I want to know is the following....
> >
> > Do you perform hardening practices such as described at this page:
> >
> >    http://crackstation.net/hashing-security.htm
>
> lucaf@portabofh:~$ curl  http://crackstation.net/hashing-security.htm
> Count not connect to PHPCount MySQL server!
> lucaf@portabofh:~$

Having looked at Google's cached version of that page...

> >  - if so, then we should be safe, if not, WHY NOT?
>
> That site is broken (see above).

moin 1.9.x uses SSHA (salted SHA1):

http://moinmo.in/MoinMoin2.0/SecurePasswordStorage

It is understood that SHA1 is outdated.

We've begun a discussion regarding using a newer hash algorithm and possibly a
key stretching algorithm.

> Please consider adding debian-www@lists.debian.org and/or
> debian-admin@debian.org to the thread if/when you reply.

I've done this.

Cheers,

Luca

--
Luca Filipozzi
Member, Debian System Administration Team