Re: Current status of switching to something besides CVS?

Le 07/09/2012 15:50, Don Armstrong a écrit :
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, David Prévot wrote:
>> Le 29/08/2012 14:02, Don Armstrong a écrit :
>>> Are there any projects underway currently to switch to something
>>> besides CVS?
>>
>> No current work that I'm aware of.
>>
>>> [Is there a massive todo list of things that actually
>>> need to be done to make that happen?]
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/WebsiteVCSEvaluation
>> http://wiki.debian.org/WebsiteSVNTransition
>>
>> (Those pages may need update)
>>
>> There are also some threads more or less recent on the list. A
>> WebsiteGitTransition may worth being created by people actually aiming
>> to propose something concrete. We add some informal talk during DC12:
>> moving to Git seems possible, but noone volunteered so far…
>
> So I've started playing with git a bit, and it looks like a full clone
> of a CVS converted repository is 500M. A shallow clone fully checked
> out is around 355M. [The actual history of the shallow clone is only
> 65M, which shouldn't be too arduous to transfer; it'll certainly be
> better than using cvs.]
>
> My current checkout of the CVS is around 425M.
>
> Based on this, I don't believe any translators will be inconvenienced
> by the size of a git clone, and I don't believe there is any real
> reason to use submodules for each language.

Agreed: the inconvenience of playing with submodules is probably not
worth the effort. The main (only?) two issues to be fixed in order to
consider the switch from CVS to Git are probably:
- adapt the current translation-check codes to use sha1 sums instead;
- document an easy way to use Git (i.e. for contributors who are *not*
	fluent with Git).

Regards

David