Re: What about a sticky language browsing?

(1)
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 19:57:47 -0400
David Prévot wrote:
> Apache and MySQL are able to do that for their documentation, so why not
> us? I was thinking of something like:
> 	[new] http://www.d.o/${ll}/${path}
> with ${ll} being the language code could provide the content of:
> 	[old] http://www.d.o/${path}.${ll}(.html)
> if ${path} is a file and, if it's a directory:
> 	[old] http://www.d.o/${path}index.${ll}.html
> The footer links (and the search.d.o) should of course point to [new]
> instead of [old], and if [old] is not available, we would default back
> to the best available choice for the user as we do, at worse being:
> 	[eng] http://www.d.o/${path}.en(.html)
> or
> 	[eng] http://www.d.o/${path}index.en.html
(2)
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 23:26:25 -0400
David Prévot wrote:
> > One issue I can think of is that we would duplicate the number of
> > similar content available in various URL, and that will be a problem for
> > search engine, in term of ranking…
(3)
On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 10:56:58 +0300
Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> This seems acceptable to me. You follow a link to the German
> translation of the web site and the site keeps that preference unless
> you tell it otherwise (or ignore cookies).

re:(1)
www.d.o uses absolute path on every page
 and /lang/path/page style link will able to keep only on the translated pages,
 ie: untranslated pages cannot have /untranslated-lang/path/page link
     and it cannot continue to keep
 this may be able to fixed by make's environment variable though

re:(2)
in the past, debian www mirrors were hosted on many domains like ftp.**.d.o,
 and of course they had the same content on them.
is this really a issue to care about?

re:(1-3)
how about let all mirrors have vhosts, eg: www.(en|fr|de|da|es|ja...).debian.org,
using different language priority configrations (care about only one and en as fallback),
 eg: www.fr use language priority fr en
     www.de use language priority de en
     www.es use language priority es en
this way, the issues may become easier to fix

--
victory
no need to CC me :-)