Re: Problem

Hello,

On Sunday 08 April 2012 10:31:12 Sandor Kallai wrote:

> I have a problem. I'm a debian user and i use Debian 5.0 "Lenny".

No good idea, since Debian Lenny is outdated [1].

> can use the system without any problem until last yesterday, when i

> need to reinstall the system, and make single boot my pc. when I want

> to install the system from network, can't find the server for download

> files. I installed without network only the base system. After install

> a find the new mirror from where can I download the packages. I edited

> my sources.list file with inserting the new mirror adress, after that

> I updated the database and I install the softwares what I need. After

> the install i used the system and just frozen when i watched a film.

> After restart the system can't activate the swap space and crashes

> again. After a new restart the system starts properly. Can you help

> me, what is the problem.

At first I see a huge problem: As you describe, you used a Debian Lenny CD for installation and then simply updated the main mirror address to install packages from there. There's a mistake in your method. The main archive (and its mirrors) doesn't contain Debian Lenny packages anymore, they were moved to archive.debian.org [2].

Simply installing Squeeze packages on a Lenny system makes at least a huge mess and I can't tell how long it keeps working, but I bet it will fail someday, because the packages are kept updated and the base system does not [2]. Someday the new programs will drop support for the old technologies used in Lenny and as soon as it's an important technology like INIT (does the boot process and was replaced by systemd), your system's down the drain.

So, at first I recommend you to either try to upgrade your Lenny to Squeeze or (better) wipe it completely and reinstall your PC with Debian Lenny. With a little luck, your problems end in smoke. Otherwise you may consult the experts from [3]. A hardware test wouldn't be wrong, too (when the system freezes, it's mostly the RAM).

Best Regards,

Erik

[1] http://www.debian.org/News/2012/20120209

[2] http://www.debian.org/distrib/archive