Guidelines for a GSOC project

Hi,

I am a student who have applied for a GSOC[1] project under Debian. As part of the project[2] that i have applied for,  we are required to a create a web interface to present data collected by the team metrics project[3].

The web interface will basically contain many charts and visualizations. I was wondering if it were a good idea to just fetch the data from the server and plot it in client side using _javascript_?

The Debian Website Discussion page[4] on the wiki suggest that we avoid _javascript_ as much as possible. So i would love to get an opinion from the Debian Website team, on the use of _javascript_. Thanks.

[1] : http://www.google-melange.com
[2] : http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects#Improving_Debian_Team_Activity_Metrics
[3] : http://teammetrics.alioth.debian.org/
[4] : http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWebsiteDiscussion#Step_1:_identify_needs