Re: Aufnahmeantrag

Holger Wansing wrote:
> burkhard pranke <burkhard.pranke@gmail.com> wrote:
> [submission to be added to the Who uses Debian list]
>
> I have translated this into english.
>
> debian-l10n-english in CC: proofread my translation please,
> as I am not a native english speaker.

Are those pages standardising on en_US or en_GB?  If other pages on
the list are using en_GB you'll want s/ization/isation/ and
s/center/centre/ throughout, but I'll assume en_US is okay.

> 1. Name of organization
>
> Info cafe "Der Winkel", info center for tolerance, against right-wing extremism and violence

The main title on www.derwinkel.de calls it "Infocafé Der Winkel"
(without quotes, though other places have some peculiar ones).  I
would be inclined to leave that name untranslated, since it's obvious
what the Infocafé part means; alternatively, once you start
anglicising it the more natural word order would be "Der Winkel
Info-Cafe".

The rest of the line strikes me as more of a description than strictly
the "name of organization", but assuming it fits the usual format I
would expand the abbreviation "info" here:

  "Infocafé Der Winkel" information center, for tolerance and against
  right-wing extremism and violence.

> Belziger Forum e.V.
> 14806 Bad Belzig
> Brandenburg
> Germany
>
> 2. Organization type (educational, non-profit, commercial, government)
>
> non-profit organization
>
> 3. (optional) Home page link
>
> http://www.derwinkel.de
>
> 4. A paragraph or two describing how your organization uses Debian.
>
> The association Belziger Forum e.V. operates the info cafe "Der Winkel"
> since 1998 as a meeting point for migrants and native people.

The "e.V" contains some useful information that isn't obvious to
readers unfamiliar with German abbreviations; call it "the Belziger
Forum registered voluntary association".

You can't use simple present tense with "since".

The distinction between "migrants" and "native people" is tricky.
You're not thinking of visiting students from Austria when you say
"migrants", and you're not thinking of German-born Turkish-speakers
when you say "native people", so what's the sane way of saying
this in English...?   The best I can manage is:

  The Belziger Forum registered voluntary association has operated the
  info cafe "Der Winkel" since 1998 as a meeting point for different
  ethnic communities.

> There are, amongst others, PCs available for connecting the internet
> (2-5 depending on the needs and existing ressources). The PCs can also
> be used for other purposes (games, videos).

It's not quite clear what the "amongst others" part means, but I'd
suggest:

  The facilities include two to five PCs (depending on demand and
  available resources) that can be used to connect to the Internet or
  for other purposes (games, videos).

> Additionally to their own internet presentation the association currently
> creates a homepage related to an ancient concentration camp
> (http://aussenlager-roederhof.de). [...]

  In additional to their own Internet presence the association is currently
  creating a homepage about a former concentration camp
  (http://aussenlager-roederhof.de).

>                               [...] We have a notebook with Debian and
> Windows for creating the homepage (the scanner is not working with the
> actual Debian stable, that's why the Windows). Additionally installed
> software: apache2, php, mysql, VirtualBox.

                                      We have a notebook with Debian
  and Windows for creating the homepage (the scanner is not working with the
  current Debian stable, that's why the Windows). Additional installed
  software: Apache2, MYSQL, PHP, VirtualBox.

(Is this additional to the list below?  Capitalised because you don't
mean particular Debian packages, and re-alphabeticised.)

> Debian version used:
> actual stable release (Squeeze at the moment)

As usual: s/actual/current/

> Software:
> Iceweasel
> Chromium-Browser
> Epiphany
> OpenOffice.org
> Marble
> Rhythmbox
> gedit
> gthumb
> Inkscape
> VideoLan.org
> xscreensaver
> ssh-server

Thats:

  Chromium browser
  Epiphany
  gedit
  gthumb
  Iceweasel
  Inkscape
  Marble
  OpenOffice.org
  OpenSSH server
  Rhythmbox
  VideoLAN
  XScreenSaver

> Why Debian?
> - stable, extremly seldom crashs
> - no virusses
> - safe
> - easy to administrate (also for remote computers)
> - no basically changes (until now; as can be seen with Microsoft products)
> - functionality is added, but things that have worked in the past, also
>   work after the changes
> - good documentation
> - quick help in case of problems (e.g. over ask.debian.net)

Rephrasing the unclear ones:

  * stable, crashes extremely rarely;
  * no viruses;
  * good security;
  * easy to administrate (including remotely);
  * no unnecessary fundamental changes (as seen in Microsoft products);
  * functionality is added, but things that have worked in the past also
    work after the changes;
  * good documentation;
  * quick help in case of problems (e.g. via ask.debian.net).

(Oops, I didn't notice the original German versions at the end until I
had already finished.)