Re: [Policy] Fund raising advertisement on the DPN

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:28:56PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:05:05AM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
> >> So I propose the following policy:
> >>
> >> *The DPN do not inform about fund raising initiative*
> >>
> >> The following exception tries to reflect our current usage:
> >>
> >> Once a year, mentioning the possibility to sponsor Debian (e.g. via its
> >> DebConf event) is acceptable (but not mandatory).
> >>
> >> If we want to make things crystal clear, we could drop the exception:
> >> DebConf has other ways to inform about sponsorship (e.g. specific press
> >> announcement).
>
> Le 12/10/2011 22:57, Fernando C. Estrada a écrit :
>
> > I believe that a message to thank when someone has contributed with a
> > donation to Debian is highly appropiate (i.e. hardware donations,
> > hosting, mirrors, etc.)
>
> Sure, it would be rude not to thanks our sponsors, especially if they
> contributed to make a Debian event, or any Debian initiative, happen. I
> hope that the proposed policy cannot be interpreted as preventing such
> thing to be mentioned. If it does, would the following wording be
> appropriate (as a complement): “Thanking sponsors who helped in
> achieving an item mentioned in the DPN is not considered as a fund
> raising initiative”?
>
> > but ask for donations directly on behalf of
> > Debian is something that I disagree.
>
> So do you think we should even drop the proposed exception? The last
> mention of a “fund raising initiative” I found [1] just provides a link
> to the DebConf sponsorship page [2].
>
> 	1: http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/05/#dc11
> 	2: http://debconf11.debconf.org/sponsorship.xhtml
>
> If you believe that even such mention is annoying, we'll drop the exception.

Of course not, Debian as a project encourages the annual Debian
Conference, so for me bug #592170 [1] was closed without adding current
DebConf delegates [2] to intro/organization [3] (cc'ing debian-www).

Regards,

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/03/msg00005.html
[3] http://www.debian.org/intro/organization
--
Fernando C. Estrada

Does she think we just want to sit around painting debian swirls on our
toenails?
         -- Erinn Clark, referring to the Debian-women project