Re: CVS and WWW sprint.

-=| Joey Hess, Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 04:30:39PM -0400 |=-
> Also, "use git-cvs" is a weak sop to doing it properly. Our
> experience in
> the d-i team (which just finished converting to git) is that only highly
> motivated or core contributors bothered with the significant pain of using
> git-svn. That pain included a very long initial checkout process, and
> ongoing pain with keeping up-to-date, and not being able to share well with
> others, etc. I doubt git-cvs is much better.

I have never succeeded in using git-cvs for anything real. Even
attempts to simply clone a CVS repository for the benefits of easier
searching failed miserably with non-trivial repositories.

Not sure if committing to CVS via git-cvs is possible at all.

git-svn is much better than git-cvs IME. It is able to emulate most of
the SVN workflow and still add detached commits and handy
searches/diffs. Not exactly like the real Git, but much, much better
than git-cvs.

I think I've read on IRC about someone trying to migrate website
build/translation tools to Git.