Re: How should I updates ddp files in www-master.d.o etc.

Hi Osamu,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:30:28PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> With recent changes to the source, maint-guide is making files all in
> UTF-8 encoding such as:
>
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.zh-cn.html
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/maint-guide.zh-cn.txt
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/maint-guide.zh-cn.pdf
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/maint-guide.zh-cn.ps
>
> This is good :-)  I just updated page around
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#maint-guide
> in webwml CVS to match this new situation.

Thanks :)

> === Problem 1 ===
>
> There are old files remaining uncleaned in generated web pages such as:
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/maint-guide.zh_CN.txt
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/maint-guide.zh_CN.pdf
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/maint-guide.zh_CN.ps

That means that some links from the internet (or even debian.org places)
may have been broken, what should be avoided when possible, please.

This issue is the same for almost the entire website, since we never
'make clean' it (or rebuild of the whole documentaion would cost much).

> How should I move to correct these.
>   Option1: run from Makefile (very tedious and error prone.)
>   Option2: get an acount at www-master.d.o with proper group to work from
>            shell. (To whom should I ask such request?)

> Which option should I do?

Ask webmasters (either on debian-www or webmaster@d.o).
The files have been cleaned, thanks for the notice.

Option3 is: we could use the materials from the maint-guide package
instead of a build from DDP trunk.

> === Problem 2 ===
> Text encoding are not set to UTF-8 for maint-guide.zh-cn.txt as default.
>
> (I guess this is inevitable but ...)

What is done in release-notes makefile and works like a charm:

publish: statistics.html
	[...]
	echo "AddCharset UTF-8 .txt" > $(PUBLISHDIR)/.htaccess; \
	[...]

Best regards.

--
Simon Paillard