Re: Sharing Lintian hints, tips and patches (on a wiki)

Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> writes:
> On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 13:05 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I can definitely see the appeal in having users know that every tag has
>> a page, and we can always look through the wiki for modified pages to
>> pull those details into the tags (although it would be very cool if
>> that were easy).

> The wiki can be effective to collect information. I'll mention that
> contribution are license "under GPLv2 or later", so you can just grab
> interesting parts.

That sounds great.  Thank you!

>> So overall I think this is a great idea, although I don't have much
>> time to help with it.  Linking to the wiki from lintian.d.o seems like
>> a good idea to me.  The main thing that would make it better from my
>> perspective would be some way for us to easily see which tag pages have
>> modifications and contain additional details, which might be candidates
>> for importing into the long description

> I would recommend to "subscribe" to the wiki page (in your wiki
> Settings> Notification> Subscribed wiki pages , simply put an
> appropriate regex, like ^Lintian/Tags/[a-z].* )

Done.  Other Lintian maintainers may want to do the same.

>> And then some way of marking pages as having been reviewed for that
>> purpose so that they don't show up again unless they're modified
>> further.

> The easiest option for you would be to just remove the merged content.

> My preferred option would be to add a note, saying that the text was
> merged back in the official documentation (like [4]). That would
> encourage DD/DM to submit more entries, and avoid deception of empty
> pages.

Good idea.

> Another option would be to use markup comments (any text prefixed with
> two hash won't be rendered in the wiki page), maybe something like:
> ## status: merged in lintian (by jdoe)

> There are probably some alternatives, involving some formatting
> capabilities:
>  * Use smileys [1]
>  * Use "comments"[2] (that aren't visible to visitors by default)
>  * Use "adminition"[3] (It would be best to use them for actual content.
>  * Draw a box around the selected text (dashed borders ; colored
>    background...)

I like something that would be displayed on the page, for encouragement of
other people to add things.  Something that would be quick to add via
include sounds best to me.

Thank you for working on this!