Re: www-master move, final steps: /doc/manuals/sgml-howto

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 09:52:17PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:48:58AM +0200, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> > Quoting "Simon Paillard" <spaillard@debian.org>:
> > >Any reason to add sgml-howto to ddp Makefile or it is so old that the
> > >doc is no longer valid ?
>
> More problematic is:
>  http://www.debian.org/doc/docpolicy
>  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ddp-policy

Well from my current POV (moving to another host) at least, these ones *do*
build correctly.

> > If I look at the correct document, it seems partly outdated
> > to me. Are we talking about this?
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/sgml-howto/
> >
> > To me, too many things have changed:
>
> I agree.
>
> > At least some of the newer documents are made with DocBook
> > XML instead of debiandoc or DocBook SGML. The compilation
> > tools are now mainly xsltproc, docbook-xsl, dblatex, xmlroff,
> > and fop, not dsssl and jadetex. Emacs users are using nxml,
> > not psgml, I assume.
>
> Please do not forget to add "po4a"-tool chain.
>
> It is interesting that this is written in DocBookXML.
>
> It does not seem to be linked anywhere from DDP page.
>
> As technical guide to SGML, it is useful.  But you need to find it from
> google.
>
> I suggest to add it to "Problematic manuals"
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp#other
>
> Unless someone update now, I suggest to add note such as:
>  "(Obsolete Documentation)"
>
> Bust still build them.

Does some of you succed in building it ?

After adjusting hardcoded path no longer valid since potato.. I've come
up with:

jade -t sgml -V FHS \
		-d ../html.dsl \
		/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl howto.db
jade:/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl:31:27:W: characters in the document character set with numbers exceeding 65535 not supported
jade:howto.db:1:0:E: end of document in prolog

But honestly, I don't want to spent more time trying to build an outdated doc.

So, different options:

A/ Can someone want to fix the sgml-howto svn to make it buildable on lenny and
squeeze ?

B/ sync the manual built result to new www-master (I'm not a big fan, but it's
the most conservative option). Then if someone wants, update the build system.

C/ Drop it

--
Simon Paillard