packages.debian.org vs archive.d.n [was: problem searching packages from oldstable]

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 02:58:27PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
> Le 24/08/2010 13:26, Otavio Exel a écrit :
> > the package search form in
> > http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages
> > is not working when you select the "oldstable" distribution.
>
> Since June 6th 2010, Etch is archived, so there is actually no more
> "oldstable" distribution for the moment.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2010/msg00005.html

You cand this information at http://archive.debian.net/

It raises a question, we have distinct packages search engines:
- unarchived distributions: http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=vim
- archived distribution: http://archive.debian.net/search?keywords=vim

But archive.debian.net is :
- not an official service, hence not under the same group which takes
  care of packages.d.o
- not well advertised.

What about :
- advertising archive.debian.net or $LOCATION at http://archive.debian.org/ ?
- having an official package search engine for archived distribution
- merging engines for both old and new distributions ?

--
Simon Paillard