Re: Question wrt wiki.debian.org

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 01:24:19 Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> [Hi Geoff, I'm CC'ing you because I am interested in your POV]
>
> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 20:04 +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > Apart from that, should the possibility of using sudo be mentioned?
>
> Well, on one side, sudo isn't enabled. On the other hand, sudo should be
> configured in large organization...
>
> my *own* opinion is/was that we should link to the "root" page,
> typically using a statement like: "Execute this command as [[root]]".
> The "root" page explains how to execute a command as Root in Debian (in
> Gnome, KDE, Desktop, Server... the page can still be improved).

I like the idea of linking to the root page ...

> > If yes, what would be a proper way to go about that?

> > > No one ever worked on standardizing this is the wiki, your help is
> > > welcome if you are interested/motivated.
> >
> > Is there already a page which describes the difference between $ and #,
> > so there could be link to
>
> There isn't such page. There used to be a CommandPrompt page[1], but it
> was dropped because it's quality was pretty low, compared to any
> bash/shell howto. The question is... who would actually read a page
> explaining the difference between $ and # ;)

A separate page about $ vs # doesn't seem all that useful indeed.
But we could add that info to the root page, since switching to root would also change the prompt.
And on the root page we could also mention that a non-root user could perform those tasks/commands
by using sudo, which will be a link to the sudo page describing how to set it up, when to use it,
etc.
That way on any given page (with a link to the root page) users can click through to sudo if that's
what they prefer/need to use.

btw: the Root page surely needs some loving, it links to a German and a French page of an obsolete
version of the Debian Reference, as well as non-existing man pages (instead of wiki pages) and I
don't think the following line is 'preferred', since it indicates a preference to sudo:
"However, it's recommended to configure and use sudo (or gksudo) to run a given command."

> > Or is there a better way/your ideas wrt standardizing this in the wiki?
>
> That could be added to DebianWiki's editor guide[2].

Seems like a good plan :)

> Franklin
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/CommandPrompt?action=recall&rev=19
> [2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWiki/EditorGuide