Re: integrating Debian GNU/kFreeBSD into InstallingDebianOn?

Paul Wise wrote:
> [Please CC me in reply, not subscribed to either list]
>
> With the upcoming Debian squeeze release, the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD port
> will be available in release form. As such, the installation of it on
> specific machines will be a candidate for documentation in the
> InstallingDebianOn section of the wiki. InstallingDebianOn is an effort
> to document how to install, configure and use Debian on some specific
> hardware.

> Until now, all the guides were written for Debian GNU/Linux, so I am
> wondering how to integrate kFreeBSD into the new guides that will be
> written for squeeze. As an example, here is my primary machine:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell/Inspiron6400/lenny
> http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell/Inspiron6400/etch
>
> When squeeze is released I'll probably do a new install on a spare hard
> drive to test installation again and ensure nothing is different to
> lenny.

> I'll probably try installing Debian GNU/kFreeBSD too, to see how
> the hardware support is going. I'm currently thinking that a second
> column for kFreeBSD could be added to the Overall Status section of the
> template and the Configuration section split up into Debian GNU/Linux
> and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD sub-sections.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/ComputerTemplate
>
> Also, I'm wondering if the pages for specific releases should be merged
> into one page? The tweeks could be marked as specific to a release.

At the time were InstallingDebianOn was started, it was frequent that
the instruction to support a recent hardware was very different between
DebianStable and DebianTesting. This is not so true anymore (see Thinkpad
T[45]00). It might be sensible to merge those pages by default nowadays.

I haven't played that much with Debian GNU/kFreeBSD (unfortunately), I
wonder if the instructions are still very similar for foo/Linux and
foo/kFreeBSD or if they deserve separate pages.
Anyone with clues ont that matter can update the wiki page appropriately.

My 2¢,

Franklin