Re: [Debian Wiki] Update of "Maintainers" by FranklinPiat

Hello folks,

* Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> [2010-01-08 01:18:15 CET]:
> That page had recently been re-factored. I felt the it
> would be sensible to move it the the glossary...  But I
> didn't know that it was linked from www.d.o. I have now
> restored the page.

I have no problem with the page once known as "Maintainers"
being moved to a new canonical location if that location
makes more sense: my objection is the previously functional
URI "Maintainers" no longer pointing at any content. Content
which redirects users to either a glossary page, or wherever
the content of the "Maintainers" page goes, or both, is
fine. (this seems to be the current situation)

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:18:21AM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs
wrote:
>  Actually, the four pages on www.d.o that link to the wiki
>  actually should link to the DebianMaintainer page and not
>  the Maintainers page.

I agree, if a more appropriate canonical location has been
chosen, then all links under project control should be
updated to reflect that.

> The Maintainers page always has been very terse and not
> really helpful - I don't really see the need to keep it
> around?

Whilst I'm sorry you dislike it, as both myself and Anibal
(but mostly Anibal) have put a lot of effort into it, and
for a time at least it was the most comprehensive source of
info on maintainers (combining infos from the announcement,
the package source, the GR texts in one place). However,
the quality of the content and any constructive criticism of
it is really a side-issue: please feel free to bring it up
in a new thread.

> Jon, can you please point out what "all existing links"
> means to you?  Are you concerned about the (right from
> the start) wrong links on www.debian.org that I am going
> to change right now, or do you mean external links that
> are also pointing to the wrong page and expecting users
> to click once further to get to the actual
> DebianMaintainer page?

My only concern was that the previously working URI would
point at a "dead end": an effective 404, served with a 2xx
header. I don't mind a "disambiguation"-style page pointing
at a more appropriate page name. This seems to be the case
now, so I'm happy. Thanks folks!

--
Jon Dowland