Re: Potential www redesign at www.deb.at

On 12:37 Tue 06 Oct, Don Armstrong wrote:
> Rhonda and Kalle have been doing work to make Kalle's proposal
> reality, which you can view at http://www.deb.at. Presumably they'll
> fill us in on more details soon.

I have made some changes based on the feedback recieved on this list.
The changes have not yet been committed to www.deb.at but a standalone
homepage can be found here [1]

1. The size of the images have been significantly reduced
   cropped-swirls.png is now 2.9K rather than 22K. Keep in mind that
   this graphic is not supposed to be permanent.

2. The layout has been tweaked to avoid the list of links appearing to be
   the footer. The appearance on small screen has also been improved.

3. An initial handheld css has been added

The cropped swirls are still there, the reasoning is explained in email
above [2]

The tweaks to the layout have in my view improved it. Thanks for the
feedback! Moving the link list up and graphically grouping it with the
splash and the intro text makes a lot of sense.

Regarding the instant download button I have come to the conclusion that
it would require a lot of changes to the whole array of download pages
to introduce such a link. Otherwise the toplevel 'Getting Debian' link
does the job perfectly well. The debian homepage definately does not
need more links, perhaps better links and most probably fewer links.

The 'Getting Debian' sequence should definately be analysed and improved,
it was those pages that made me start work on a redesign in the first
place. But any real improvements would probably require quite deep
changes and would likely cause quite a few problems.

Any comments on the tweaked homepage would be appreciated.

Cheers!

[1] <http://www.kalleswork.net/projects/debian/debhome/091010/>
[2] <http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2009/10/msg00039.html>
--