Re: "About Debian" footer in the recent news entries

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 11:21:39AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> [Please CC me, I'm not subscribed]
>
> Seems that at some point the phrase "open source" has been used in
> Debian news entries and some people object to that since Debian has
> always been about "free software":
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/10/threads.html#00005
>
> The following pages are affected:
>
> http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090923

This was during International Conference on Open Source(ICOS) 2009.
So this had some reason to mention "Open Source" describing Debian to
that kind of audience.  I am OK with this one.

Previous ones do not seem to use parts:
 "Since then the project has grown to be one of the largest and
  most influential open source projects."

> http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20091007
> http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20091008

Looks like carried away by copy-and-paste.

> Could the press officer (CCed) please use "free software" instead of
> "open source" in future press releases?
>
> BTW, why is the "About Debian" section in all those news entries
> different? Shouldn't it be the same?

I think unless specific reason exist, we should use classic text
describing Debian.

Osamu