Re: Dealing better with CD releases

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:49:49PM +0200, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 14:36 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > At the moment we have problems when we do releases including new
> > CD/DVD images, as you'll see from mailing list complaints about broken
> > links each time. [..]
> >
> > 1. The Problem
> >
> > [..] The image filenames and the top-level directory are versioned for
> > clarity, [..] We then prune most of the old ISO images so we don't
> > waste too much space [..] We currently potentially have a window of a
> > few hours of breakage, as the web pages that point directly to the old
> > images
>
> I discovered mirrorbrain.org, an apache module to handle mirrors (with
> geoip...). It is capable of tracking the states of mirrors...
>
> You are probably aware of that tool, but here it is in case you don't.

mirrorbrain was previously named openSuse redirector, already mentionned
on debian-mirrors (list in Cc)

Though I didn't give it a try :
 * most of the features needed are here
 * to be clear; would not be applicable to packages yet, because
   apt doesn't support HTTP redirect yet, see #212732 #79002
 * it's PSQL (overkill ?) + apache module in C,
 * avoid single HTTP redirector -> single point of failure
http://mirrorbrain.org/implementation

--
Simon Paillard