Re: Help different languages configuration

Hello Andreas,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:01:11PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
[..]
> I generate multi language pages for Debian Blends.  FOr instance you
> can see the tasks pages of Debian Science here:
>    http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/
>
> The generated files have the language extension in the end of the
> files *after* the .html extension.  The htaccess file looks like this:

On the website www.debian.org, the files (at least most of) are named
"filename.$lang.html", and all the links point to "filename", without
any extension, so that apache tries to serve filename.$lang*.

(And it makes the links cleaner and language-independent)

> Options +MultiViews
[..]
> AddLanguage pl .pl_PL
> AddLanguage cs .cs
[..]
> Xou see the trick with .pl_PL for Polish language to make sure the
> client does not asusme the downloaded file is not an active Perl
> file.  I recently learned that also .es extension is regarded as active
> content and the files which are intended to display the Spanish
> translation.  I tried to learn from www.debian.org where the
> language extension is followed by .html which seems to prevent
> this problem.

There is no need to do so IMO :
- the client (should) rely only on the Content-Type to decide how to
  handle the content served
- the extension of the filename really served would appear only in the
  Content-Location.

> Is there any chance to have a look onto the file system of
> www.debian.org to steal some ideas how to do things the right way
> (tm)?

Here is the page that describes the webserver configuration :
http://debian.org/mirror/webmirror#ref

Hope it helps.

--
Simon Paillard