Re: WIKI: contact info for contributors

Hi Osamu,

On Fri, 2008-12-26 at 22:18 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Wiki's strength is low theashold for entry to contribute.  This comes
> with price.  At this moment, for normal DD, it is not easy to trace
> contributors and ask and discuss those contribution with them.

I am experiencing the same problem.

> When I see somewhat broken contribution, I am not brave enough to revert
> them.  They seems to have good idea.

Yes. And it is sometime difficult to find a way to correct contribution
in a way so contributors don't feel like "you" are reverting/undoing
their changes.

> I have been somewhat successful with google user name.   But we should
> have some some interface to expose user's contact e-mail address.

Humm that's a good idea, but I don't know how to implement them, without
making people upset that we "publish their email".

Some random ideas...

Solution 1:
 Tick-in the option "Publish my email (not my wiki homepage) in author
 info" in users' preference pages.

 + That's easy to implement (I guess).
 - This option is going to make many contributors upset.

Solution 2:
 Automatically create a wiki-homepage for each wiki account, then configure
 users' preference page so each user is subscribed to it's own page.
 - Probably more difficult to implement.
 - The system could be abused to send spam.
 + The email isn't exposed.

Solution 3:
 Develop a tool to expose the email, for wiki users only.
 + we restrict who can have access the email account
 - We still publish users email account.

Solution 4:
 Extract the accounts' email, then published it on a [Debian|Alioth] machine.

Solution 5:
 Wait for Lenny's version, and use openID (I am not completely sure it would help).

... or something else.