Re: Debian Wiki license.

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 00:14 +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:
> > Jon Downloand has started to tweak the license pages on
> > the wiki.  I definitely agree that the wiki license should
> > be clarified.
> >
> > However, I would like to say here that I strongly disagree
> > with having "per page" licensing terms, because it would
> > prevent merging such pages.
>
> Me too, but we lost that battle, years ago. The references
> to requests for an all-encompassing license you see dotted
> around were largely by me,
Thanks for that effort.

> prior to the merging of the old
> wiki content, which was gone ahead with anyway. This was in
> 2005 or thereabouts.
yep, I've seen that.

> We currently either have all-rights reserved implicit
> copyright of all authors (including anonymous ones) == no
> reuse at all, or page-specific licenses.
>
> You can't just stick an all-encompassing wiki license on
> what is already present without the consent of the
> copyright owners.

I have the impression that since wiki.debian.net was moved to
http://wiki.debian.org in 2004, It has never had a valid
"/copyright.html" page.
(because that page was static on wiki.d.net, but wiki.d.net had a catch
all redirect to *.org, so the copyright wasn't ever served)

If that was confirmed, may be we could apply the (www.)debian.org
license to the Wiki ? (inherit ??)

Alternatively, can't we apply a "de facto" license that match the
practices on this (and others) wikis ?
i.e : You can edit any page, people can edit your page, People can
derive your work, and preserve the same license, freely distributable,
etc...

> P.S.: are wiki page deletions permanent on MoinMoin?
No. (I wouldn't have deleted them otherwise)
(goto "RecentChanges", click on the deleted page, then click on Info.
you can view any version).

> If so, and I can't figure out how if not, I think it was rather
> rude to delete the pages I created today on this subject,
> which took me many hours.
It's not lost. I just "unpublished" it.

Accept my apologies, if you got upset.

> Irrespective of what we may want
> to do in the future, I am trying to document current
> practise. This includes the inherited old license (which I
> had to dig out of web.archive.org).
I understand that, but please don't replace the current
http://wiki.debian.org/copyright.html until we have a final resolution
on this point.
Every time we write something on copyright page, someone could say it
can be enforced...

Doing that study on a standalone page would be a great idea. (Especially
if we can find a good solution).

> P.P.S.: I like the idea of wiki discussions taking place on
> a mailing list, btw -- I think we should see how it works on
> -www, though, and keep the option open to have a specific
> list for the purpose.
I'm just sure of one thing : Having a discussion on a wiki is insane ;)
Wikipedia has no other choice, because of their business
model... but Debian has mailing lists.

Regarding having a debian-wiki mailing list, well I would rather talk
about it later. Once there's an actual need for it.

Regards,

Franklin