Re: Some docs on the website infrastructure / build system available?

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 04:06:32PM +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Over in GNOME land, we are suffering from a website fragmentation
> problem: Each regional branch has its own website, mostly due to the
> lack of a unified i18n system. Of course, this is not very
> representative.

Right. I'm always lost in GNOMEs list of domains and followed the
discussion on the GNOME list.

> On the other hand Debian seems to offer a fully internationalized
> website. Kudos to your www development team! :)
>
> I'm trying to evaluate whether it is possible to use some of your
> infrastructure for the GNOME website. However, I couldn't find any docs
> on the infrastructure, tools and licenses used to create the Debian
> website. Maybe you could give me some hints?

See http://www.debian.org/devel/website/desc for details.

The main idea is simple (or even trivial). Just activate content
negotiation in the web server and provide files containing the language
code: desc.<lang>.html such as desc.de.html. That's all!

PS: I CC: you even though you did not request this. Hope this is OK.

Jens