Re: DebianWiki: Draft of a new frontpage [RFC]

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:48:44AM +0100, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> I have drafted a new(1)[2] front page for the wiki. My main purposes
> were to:
> - Get more people to contribute to Debian (at large).
> - Get visitors to use the search engine, rather than click on links.
> - Frontpage should reflect the content of the wiki (humm...).
> - Show that Debian is active/successful.

Ack on all these items.

> I tend to think that a frontpage without a sidebar isn't efficient for
> navigation (and it's a waste of space)... So I had to twist moinmoin a
> little bit to achieve that (the stuff at the bottom of the page will be
> moved somewhere else later).

Maybe a folding sidebar, in order to avoid displaying the whole
site/wiki hierarchy.

> The page isn't finished yet, but I would like to get some feedback from
> you.
>
> Thanks in advance for you feedback and contribution.

It reminds me too much our plain old website, i.e. too much information
on the start page.

I prefer the current layout and design of the wiki frontpage (for
example the icons).

By the way, Kalle Soderman is doing nice work (though not much
advertising on the list, he is certainly right given the previous
feedback sent to website layout proposals) :

http://www.kalleswork.net/projects/debian/simple/newwiki/

(See his webpage http://www.kalleswork.net/projects/debian/)

> (1) Well, it is not so new, since it is very similar (and inspired)
>     by entries of the one we had one year ago.
> [2] http://wiki.debian.org/FrontPageV3Sandbox
> (and http://wiki.debian.org/DevelopersCorner is merely started)

Bye !

--