Re: URL changes -> smart_change.pl!

* Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> [2008-10-08]:
> 	Hi!
>
> Working file: english/MailingLists/debian-announce.wml
> revision 1.8
> date: 2008-10-04 10:56:22 +0200;  author: hansfn;  state: Exp;  lines:
> +1 -1;  commitid: U3dCj1iqvJtlWhlt;
> Fixing URLs - www.foldoc.org/foldoc/foldoc.cgi redirects to
> foldoc.org/foldoc.cgi
>
>  Please do *NOT* just change such stuff in english. This is nothing that
> translators should be bothered with. Please use the smart_change.pl
> script that is there for exactly this reason. This is nothing
> translators would have to review ...
>
>  Thanks,
> Rhonda [annoyed with cleaning up behind others ...]

First of all - my sincere apologizes to all translators wasting time
on this. I had nothing but good intensions (and realised just after
commiting the change what the side effects were). And thanks to you,
Gerfried, for making me aware of smart_change.pl.

Actually, it was you Gerfried that lead me on the "wrong" path in the
message about the urlcheck, tidy and validate logs:

    ... it would be helpful if you can go through the errors for your
    language and fix them (preferably also in the english part of the
    website where it makes sense):

I have a suggestion so this doesn't happen again.

Translator often find errors - HTML validation error, typos and so -
when doing their work. And some translators are also developers and
not afraid of fixing (or "fixing") stuff in the English part. On
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/translation_hints it's a link to
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/working in the first line. Maybe
add in bold font something like:

    Please do just change stuff -- typos, HTML validation errors, dead
    links and so -- in English. Either ask on debian-www list or read
    *carefully* the page about working on the web pages.

Or maybe I'm the only one that has made this mistake.

Best regrets from Hans