Re: more translated po files for hebrew

Hi Jens,
Thanks for your useful notes.

>A few comments:
>In others.he.po you translated:
>"Subscription:"
>"הרשמה"

>Is it OK that there is no ":" in the translation? Same for message "Your
>E-Mail address:".

So my answer is yes, I think it Ok, since usually it's in buttons etc. and there's no need for ':'.

>Why do you don't translate "URL" in search.he.po?

Since URL is a technical word it is better to leave it untranslated. Many hebrew users don't really know the translation, which is "נתיב" and I think it would be very cumbersome for them to use this word anyway. It's the same with many words in hebrew, we use telephone and television without translation and everybody understand (in these cases we do write the words in hebrew...). So maybe a better example would be FBI, everybody knows what it is but no body bothers translating The Federal Buro of Investigations, and if they did it would look wierd. Hence often you would find in Hebrew texts english abrevations such as NASA, FBI, NSA, ABS and so on with technical stuff.

After this explanation, I still would like and recommend this file to be used.

As for the syntax error, I noticed them when trying to run 'make' in my work directory. I have to admit that only now I managed to understand what I'm doing. So, next time if build is successful you shouldn't find these annoying errors.

>I'm now awaiting further translations, especially of the main page
>www.debian.org :-) Thanks,

I'm basically done with translating this page. But it looks very ugly with the current CSS file and hebrew. I have some suggestions that will be relevant also for other RTL languages.
I'll be happy to put them through to everybody.

Also, I must thank you for your patience with me, and being a mentor :-).

Waiting for an answer about my last idea.

Oz.

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Jens Seidel <jensseidel@users.sf.net> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 01:57:04PM +0200, Oz Nahum wrote:
> I was away for a bit. But work kept going, I did translate a little bit more
> of the po files.
> I'll be happy if someone submitted it.

Thanks, I will commit it nearly unchanged once the CVS server is up
again (currently it times out).

The file others.he.po has a width of 247 (multi-byte) characters (440 bytes).
That's not optimal, see
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/htmlediting#general:
"do not use long lines
 The wml files and other files should have lines fitting in a normal
 terminal window. This is easier to edit in vi, better searchable and
 easier to translate. It's also important because CVS is line orientated
 and it's harder to resolve conflicts in long lines."

Why do you don't translate "URL" in search.he.po? Yep, this file will
currently not be used at all and probably the best translation would be
"URL" which will be used nevertheless but such an untranslated message
will be displayed in the statistics on bottom of
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/he.html

There were two syntax errors:
$ LANG=C msgfmt -cv ports.he.po
ports.he.po:118:19: invalid control sequence
ports.he.po:122:19: invalid control sequence
msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors

msgid "Debian GNU/NetBSD for i386"
msgstr "דביאן GNU\NetBSD עבור ארכיטקטורת i386"

(invalid use of \N escape sequence, I replaced \ with /, same for the
other message)

countries.he.po and organization.he.po didn't contain any changes. No
need to send such files.

I'm now awaiting further translations, especially of the main page
www.debian.org :-) Thanks,

Jens

----
           Imagine there's no countries
           It isn't hard to do
           Nothing to kill or die for
           And no religion too
           Imagine all the people
           Living life in peace
----
          You all must read 'The God Delusion'
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion
---
when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance