Re: webwml in git?

Hi!

> I know that it's possible to trim down SHA-1 hashes to as few as
> still is unambigious, but given proper tools that shouldn't be
> needed,

Yes, but they can't embed that revision number, since it might not be
stable (a new SHA-1 that makes the prefix ambiguous might spring into
existence later on).

>  Yes. But, we won't be able to get an ID into a file.

It is possible to get something not entirely unlike RCS' $Id$-expansion
into Git. It won't expand to a revision, though, it will expand to the
SHA-1 identity of the file. But there are tools to halp find the file
using that SHA-1.

> While this doesn't disturb us here, for other projects this might be
> problematic because questions like "what version of that file are you
> using?" aren't as easy to answer, and git-hash-object works only on
> unmodified files.

It can be problematic for the work-outside-the-version-control-system
usecase (i.e, the translators that pull the files off cvs.d.o and
submit updates as patches).

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/