required vs recommended -was Re: apt-get vs Aptitude

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
>  > So my
>  > apt-get install python-epydoc -> 4mb
>  > aptitude install python-epydoc -> Need to get 340MB of archives. After
>  > unpacking 685MB will be used
>  >
>  > I don't think that is what I have intended here. So now I am not
>  > sure if I should suggest aptitude as it installs more then required.
>  > How are you guys deal with this issue?
>
>  IIRC apt-get will install recommends by default from now on too, as
>  Recommends: should contain packages that all but unusual installations
>  should include. If you don't want recommends, use
>  --without-recommemends or set Aptitude::Recommends-Important
>  appropriately.

Just out of curiosity what are the reasons for such a move. If I
understand this correctly required is all the software that needs to
be on in order for it to run.(80% of the time this is what I need)
recommended is the other 20%  where there is a feature I would want to
use.!??!! (I needed that only twice in 4 years)

So I don't know about other but in majority cases I need only what is required.

FYI:
digikam triples the amount of software needed to run digikam and
installs software like (kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer) which on
gnome don't do me any good but are recomended if one chooses to use
them.

So if
digikam is 3x the size, epydoc is gets 40x the size sounds like Debian
will have a very heavy footprint when installing any program to
satisfy 20% of the extra functionality.

Could you guys point me to reasons why this switch has happen?

Lucas