video problems

hi, im new to linux.  Only one problem, major, so far.  There are 3 verticle bars in the screeen, giving my desktop a chopy apearance.  The only solution i found was to a similar problem, by turning down the screen res, a sacrifice im not willing to make.  If this helps, i find that the bars are like cut from another area, cause when i move my mouse in that area i can see it in the bars.  I will continue google searching, perhaps i might find a solution, please email me back with the solution if u have it.

--
-martin the genius-