Re: Automatic update of pages

On 23-12-2007 18:01, David Paleino wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a Debian-Med team member, and I'm working to get some nice features for our
> (and, possibly, also other) CDD. The idea is to have pages like [1] and [2]
> automatically updated by a python script, possibly put on our Alioth space (so
> that everyone in the team can edit/fix/improve it) or, better, in our SVN
> repository, always on Alioth. The script would parse some "task files" (see an
> example at [3]).
> I've sent a mail to our mailing list (CCed), and one of the guys with write
> access to the debian.org space (Charles Plessy
> <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org>) made me note that the space is
> write-protected [4], so he suggested me to write here. Is there any chance to
> achieve what I planned? Any workaround?
> [1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/microbio
> [2] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/record
> [3]
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/cdd/projects/med/trunk/debian-med/tasks/?rev=0&sc=0
> [4] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.medical/2771

	Automatic updates direct in the files would break the
sync of translation check for other languages and the website
mirrors. In a first look, I can imagine two approaches:

1) A "status" file with metadata outside the CVS

	Similar to the PO statistics, the build script could
	download the "status" from Debian-Med and generate
	the different pages for the different languages at
	build time.

2) A "status" file with metadata inside the CVS

	Have a .data file used by the build script but instead
	of being downloaded automatically it would be commited
	to the CVS.

	Preference for 1 and 2 would depend on whether you want
to have history of the data/metadata. About the updates, it
really doesn't matter how many times the python script would run
because the changes will only appear on the next wwwbuild.

http://people.debian.org/~faw/tools/wwwbuild-lessoften.html
http://people.debian.org/~faw/tools/wwwbuild-often.html

	In both cases you are likely to need to patch the build
scripts and much probably get the approval of a webmaster to
commit it.

Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)