Re: packages.d.o/pkgname -> stable

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 10:37:53PM +0100, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 17:12 +0100, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 11:42:19AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > The idea of making packages.d.o appearance and behaviour configurable
> > via cookies is on my "to be considered" list for quite a while already,
> > yeah. I've mostly refrained from changing the default behaviour too
> > much, though.
>
> Since I'm cleaning up wiki.d.o, i've noticed how easily people get
> confused... let me raise an issue :
>
> Let's imagine a user X sends an URL to user Y, which has different
> preference, therefore they both get a different page.
> Of course, the result for packages.d.o/pkgname could actually be an HTTP
> redirection to packages.d.o/mydist/pkgname, based on the user
> preference. User X would have sent the URL packages.d.o/mydist/pkgname
> in this case.

Yeah. It definetly would be a HTTP redirect. Everything else would just
be "evil".

> Also, the current behaviour has something nice : by default, people see
> that stable,testing and unstable have different version, even without
> having to click anywhere. A similar result could be obtained by listing
> alternatives in a sidebar.
> BTW, it would be nice if distributions shipping the same version could
> be grouped visually.

Patches welcome. Sounds like a nice idea but someone would have to come
up with the HTML and CSS...

> > As for your suggestion: Your specification is incomplete. Currently
> > there are at least four different things that might happen if you
> > visit p.d.o/<string>:
> > 1) You only get an exact hit
> > 2) You get an exact hit plus some substring matches
> > 3) You only get substring matches
> > 4) You don't get any hits
> > Does your proposal only concern case 1 or case 1 and 2?
>
> Finally, the point 4 could be tricky to handle : if a user choose to
> display unstable, but the package isn't available anymore, what would be
> the best result ?

We should just improve the current error page so that this question
becomes a nobrainer... (Patches welcome...)

FWIW my first use for a user configuration would be to replace the
current source package page with the PTS page... I think it would be
somewhat frightening to the casual user but for developers there really
isn't a good reason to ever use the current source package page over the
PTS page.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>