Re: displaying email adresses

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> The BTS is mainly email-based, but spammers get email addresses for free
> by running spider programs on the WEB, which includes the BTS web pages,
> as we are completely careless about putting email addresses there.
> What we could do is to restrict access to the web pages a little bit.

Restrict access how?  Rate-limiting?

I believe web-spidering spammers mostly use search engines to try to
find email addresses in their target market for that spam run.  The
BTS contents are indexed and archived on Google's own site, amongst
others, http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/topics
and that uses an email address obfuscation that is both known
crackable, as I posted previously, and obstructive to some humans,
while giving a false sense of security to others.  Now *that's*
careless.  What the BTS does is deliberate: no surrender.

Any spammer with half a brain cell is XOVERing linux.debian.bugs.dist
on an NNTP server and getting lots of email addresses more cheaply
than using any web pages.  The newsmaster wouldn't even think it
unusual, whereas someone spidering a web site is often noticeable.

Regards,