Debian on computer need help

To: debian-www@lists.debian.orgHello,

I'm currently looking for a linux operating system for my Compaq Armada 7800 laptop.

Specs:
· Intel Pentium II 300Mhz
· 224MB Ram
· 12GB Hard Drive
· DVD ROM
· ESS Sound Card
· S3 ViRGE/MX Video Card

My question is: is it possible to install the latest version on this latop, ore wil linus be running VERRY VERRY slow in this machine.
I fit is possible to install Debian on htis aging machine what do you suggest:
Which desktop environment
Which package: Officiële torrents voor de stable release: [i386].

If you have any other suggestions for my on how to run linux smoothly on such an machine than I'd like to here more.

p.s (what are the minimal system specs to use ure latest linux version

Your sincerely

Geert Cremers

(pleas for give my for the bad English language)