Re: Switching from CVS to something else

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > > Has this been a major problem in the past?
> >
> > Yes to some extent for DDP.
>
> I thought we were talking about webwml and not DDP.

I made the same suggestion to switch to debian-doc. And since they share
some part of the problematic of publishing content on www.debian.org, some
coordination is needed here.

> > But in principle, GForge like system removes one bottleneck.  In
> > volunteer project such as debian, local control is better than having
> > higher level interventions, if this is done securely for well defined
> > limited scope.
>
> I have some problems with this approach since being able to commit
> to webwml means being able to execute arbitrary code on www-master
> which is currently the same as security-master.  Thus, having only
> limited write access and a controlled way to expand this, is actually
> a feature, imho.

The project admin have that control... it's just that it's no more limited
to you only. You should explain your concern to the other admins and trust
them to use it wisely (or remove them from their admin position).

But I see that as a problem of the build infrastructure more than anything
else.

Concerning the co-existence with security-master, it's probably best to
move www-master on another host then. I wouldn't trust all CVS pserver
accounts that we currently have on the webwml repository... I think it's
somewhat unrelated to the Alioth move.

> > Since we have no read access to www.debian.org these days, I have no
> > idea how it is done there.
>
> Parse error.  (or semantic error)

He doesn't know how the website is generated on www-master.

AFAIK most of the information is available below
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/

I had some other good links, but I don't find it any more.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog