Re: how-to build local version of site?

Hi Andrei,

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:23:52AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Anybody knows of a way to 'make' my local copy of the Romanian
> translation of the site?

This isn't described yet below http://www.debian.org/devel/website?!

OK, first read http://www.debian.org/devel/website/using_cvs for how to
obtain all files you need. I assume in the following you have a complete
webwml tree but it should work also with only one language (beside
English?).

Now you need to install wml, make, gettext and maybe some other packages.

You need to create the locale specified in <lang>/.wmlrc. Otherwise
gettext will not work!? Now remove all unwanted languages in the
top-level Makefile (just copy the following line after the original
LANGUAGES := ... line to overwrite it)
LANGUAGES := romanian english
(don't know whether you can skip english).

All files are installed into $(RELHTMLBASE) (../../www) which is
defined in Makefile.common. If you want to install into a different
directory just change this path or even better, create later a symlink.

Now start make and after it (optional) make install.
Please note that make will try to start some scripts (such as to create i18n
status page). These scripts are not part of the webwml module. Often you
can just create a emty dummy file and make will continue creating other
files until it aborts again ...

Please note that you probably require a web server with content
negotation to have working links in html files. IIRC per default links
similar to index ==> index.en.html are created. You can probably change
this in a Makefile to link to ro.html files so that it may work also
without a webserver (which resolves index to index.<lang>.html).

Please write down all steps and post them here in detail so that we can
describe it the next time faster.

Thanks,
Jens