Re: Update of AMD64 port page for Etch

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 02:51:43AM -0600, Jaime Ochoa Malagón wrote:
> Frans,
>
> if my memory don't fail gcc 3.4 was the first gcc eable to compile for
> amd64 now the reference is clearly obsolete...

This is about an amd64 kernel that can be installed from a .deb on i386.
I don't remember exactly why the kernel was build with 3.4, but it did
have better support for amd64 than 3.3.  I think the reason is that the
3.4 version could build both 32 and 64 bit code from a single binary
with the -m32 and -m64 options.  The reason 3.3 didn't have this is
probably related to that 3.4 wasn't the default in sarge.

Anyway, I don't know about the current state of amd64 kernels for i386,
so I don't have a suggestion for that text.

Kurt