Re: Visual problems on the front page

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:55:41PM +0200, Florian Ludwig wrote:
> For example this rounded edges :p just try to do this without tables. I
> know how painful this will be.

Luckily, other people have already done that work, they have managed to
come up with nice solutions which have good cross-browser compatibility. I
consider Mozilla-specific CSS a hack.

For example:
Rounded corners: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/customcorners/
Graphical navbars: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/

> I think its good idea to give the debian website a new look.

Hm, yes - but IMHO the lack of a good navigation menu on the Debian website
is a much more severe problem than whether some rounded corners are jagged
or not, or whether the design looks "cool".

> Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask a bit around - for people for who
> this is done and ask them, [...]

Part of my academic research is about web usability. It /might/ be possible
for me to arrange a medium-scale usability evaluation (~60 student
participants) for the Debian website. This will result in a list of
problems which need to be fixed.

However, this kind of thing only makes sense once the obvious problems have
been fixed. Jutta is currently mostly alone with this immense task, so
progress is slow despite the large amount of time she invests in the
website.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯