Re: finding out the version of available packages impossible

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 08:59:36PM +0200, jan sekal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to find out the version of KDE desktop, and the only result I got was something like
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/kde/kde,
> whe it looks like the KDE was 5,

Well, you could look in the Release Notes and easily see that 'sarge' (Debian
3.1) ships with KDE 3.3:
http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html
or look for 'kdebase' which is the proper name of the KDE base package in
Debian:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=kdebase

> but if you look at KDE.org, you see that KDE is 3.5.4.

Well, it seems there has been no announcement yet by KDE, but KDE 3.5.5 is
already available 'unstable' distribution.

For a full comparison with other distros and with the latest upstream
versions you could use distrowatch:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian

Regards

Javier