Re: Reorganising Talk Pages

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 06:05:34PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> in my opinion, the web pages about speakers[1] and talks[2] given at
> various conferences could use an overhaul.  From several occasions
> there also exist video or audio recordings which would be useful for a
> web visitor, especially after the particular event is over.

Hi Joey,

I was thinking that maybe the events / speakers page should be ordered based on:

- topic "level" (introduction, users, developers): so that users can
easily find which talks might be relevant to their level

- date, so that users can be aware of which time the talk was written
in (and get an idea of its accuracy)

It problaby makes sense to have the talks info in a text file with
that info and have Perl wml generate the page based on it, ordering
automatically the talk and generating whatever indexes might be
needed.

I also think that the events@d.o should be replaced by a link to a
wiki were people could list the talks and some maintainer of the page
could make them "official" by moving the talks over to w.d.o. That
way:

a) if the maintainer of the page cannot keep up with new talks people
craving for new talks can go directly to the wiki

b) speakers get the inmediate benefit of having their talk be
published, even if in an "unofficial" source (even though wiki.d.o is
now official)

That might encourage more people to submit talks and also makes it
possible to spread over the load of keeping the page current (AFAIK
only you, and not debian-www) is receiving events@d.o. I'm under the
impression that there are many 2002 talks but only a few talks of 2003
forward. When, on the other hand, there have been a lot many talks
from 2003 forward.

Another option is to have events@d.o be CC: to debian-www and provide
a standard form to provide the information of talks, like it's done
for submissiosn to the "Debian users" page. That way either you or the
people in charge of the website can convert the standard form
submissions into the format used in the text file that drives the page
generation. In -www is rather easy to spot if a submission has been
added or not based on the reply to the submission in the list and the
standard header used for all of them. Also, since the speaker would
provide all the content in order to add it to the DB it would make it
easier (no e-mail forward/backward) to publish them and people would
see more benefit to submitting their talk info.

Speakers page could also be ordered by "subject" of their talks but
that might be more complicated, as some speakers give talks of various
subjects (from deeply technical to basic introduction).

I also think that the talks page should direct to the Debconf's
archive of media content since that includes pretty relevant talks and
provides both sources and video for them.

Just my 2c. If you need help with coding any of that into the w.d.o
website please let me know!

Regards

Javier