From: Mihira Fernando [mailto:mihiratheace@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 9:13 AM
To: Robert J. A. Fernandes.
Subject: Re: Debian Installation ISO DVD Image Files

Robert J. A. Fernandes. wrote:
> Thanks Mihira,
>
> OK fine, so I want to ask just 1 last doubt like how to make this
debian
> installation as an server installation like make this debian pc as an
> server like windows server something like that.
Ah! well the standard practice for server is that it'll be console only
(no GUI). This is done when you install deb as its asks what type of
installation you want : Desktop, server or custom.
What that does is to preselect packages to install. Like Gnome desktop
with open office if you select Desktop and Apache and PostgreSql if you
select Server.
There's no fine tuning needed as it works as a server out of the box.All

you have to do is to install the service that you need like Apache,
MySQL, Samba Server etc. and install only the stuff you need.

> Just I want this debian to act as as OS application server like how
the
> windows server acts - in that we have options.
Like I said, you don't need any fine tuning by default unless you're
planning to have an unusual setup.

Ace.

--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break

stuff.
Jamie: When in doubt, blow up a planet.
Kiva: It's an 80 foot robot, if we can't see it, absolutely it's not
here.
Glorft Technician: Unnecessary use of force in capturing the Earthers
has been approved.