Re: Policy Translation

Hi Felipe,

I added Manoj Srivastava to CC: because he has write access to the
debian-policy CVS module
(http://cvs.debian.org/debian-policy/?root=debian-policy).
Since it is stored outside DDP (debian-doc module) I doubt that people
from the DDP have write access to it.

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:26:03PM -0300, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
> On 03/25/2006 04:06 AM, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > The reasons for translating to Japanese are:
> > 1. Debian-policy documents some of the Debian designs pretty well, and
> >    is a very good reference to users.
> >
> > 2. Most Japanese people do not read English straight-out; they tend to
> >    translate before understanding English text, thus sharing the work
> >    and reviewing them is sometimes better.
> >

> > Currently, Iwamatsu is doing some Japanese policy translation work for
> > doing presentation in monthly Debian meeting in Tokyo.
>
> 	That's great! So, I would like to bring back my original question,
> which should be the "Right Way (tm)" to send the translation to be added
> to the official infrastructure?

Have you already extended the build system (Makefile, ...) to support your
translation or is it just a set of translated file?

You will probably also need write access so the simplest solution seems to
grant you (or better all DDP people) write access to language specific
subdirectories. This should be no problem with CVS. Changes to the
parent directory are handled by ... (contacting Manoj, reporting bugs)???

> 	I would like to help with that, we are reviewing some Debian
> Foundational Documents (Maint Guide, Policy, Security Guide) and if it is
> possible I would like to minimize translators work and "debian-doc
> commiters" work.

These are part of the DDP and really many person have write access.
It's no problem to add translations, fix issues and to improve minor
parts! But ensure to get consensus before rewriting everything :-)

Jens