Re: intl/zh versus international/Chinese

Am Freitag, 10. März 2006 10:47 schrieb Jutta Wrage:
> Now that I have a repaired autogb the chinese pages Build again and I
> got the first problem:
>
> The line that makes a symlink from international/Chinese was removed
> from the Makfile years ago. But the pages there still build with
> links containing intl/zh. I cannot find anything creating the link
> and the links do not work on local build.

You mean "intl/zh --> international/Chinese" is missing, right?

http://www.us.debian.org/international/zh/ exists indeed beside
http://www.us.debian.org/international/Chinese/ (and of course
intl/zh, intl/Chinese).

> Links are build that way: <a href="$(CHINESE)/">Debian €€€å p¹º</a>
>
> CHINESE is in many .wmlrc files:
>
> -D CHINESE~intl/zh

That's at least better than using "intl/zh" everywhere in source :-)

> If I am not missing something and the links working on debian website
> are due to an old existing symlink or a rewrite rule:

Most probably.

> How to solve the problem?

I suggest you fix the .wml files to use international/ and test the build
process. Once it works you should send the patch to the Chinese people
(which are at least partly very active and knowledgeable). I'm sure they
will accept it.

It's indeed very important to be able to build on a different host. I
remember that the last time I tried it it was necessary to create a few
empty files which are normally generated by (external?) scripts. One of these
is used to create to mailing list page. But apart from this is worked
flawlessly.

I noticed a few days ago a similar problem. In the DDP directory on the host
www-master was a stale convert/ directory which was removed from CVS (by
deletion on the server, no restore from CVS possible). I asked an
admin for removing and checked that it is indeed not necessary for the build.

Nevertheless we are on the save side if we do not remove the zh link so that
old bookmarks do not become invalid. But there should be no official link to
zh, right?

Jens