Re: Dealing with dead (404) links

Helge Kreutzmann:

while translating older texts, I encounter some 404 links. I try to fix them[1] if possible, but sometimes the content is simply gone. Is there some documented procedure how to deal with permanently gone linked content?

For most pages, I think the most common practice is to keep the link, and just add a comment "(link dead)", or something similar. For DWN there is a "oldurl" document that can be used, grep some of the older issues to see how it is used.

What I did in the two instances so far: Adapted text, if necessary and
commented out the link itself (so if later someone still has the
contents can upload it somewhere and re-enable the link). Is that ok?

I personally don't think modifying the text for old news items (press releases) is a good idea, as those are sort of "historic" pages. For normal content pages, it should be fine to just rewrite the text.

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/