Who's using Debian?

Name of organization : Computer Science Department, Pune University, India

Organization type : educational

Home page link : http://cs.unipune.ernet.in

We adopted Debian after scanning all the distros available grading them with max. weightage on "Programming Convinience" and "maintainability". Debian "outperformed" all other distros with a great margin.

1. Programming Convinience : With its abundant packages and its clever interface (apt) its pretty easy to install a library or search for one. 90% of chances you 'll get in the repository. Moreover all the cleverrer tools of Programming (IDE, libraries, modules, modes etc.) you 'll get in the respository and moreso just an "apt-get install <package-name> does it all for you, you are back to coding.

2. Maintainance : Debian rocks at Package Management. No distro gets even closer to this. We've had nightmares going thru the "rpm" dependencies earlier.

All our server/client machines in the Department run on Debian.

--
Warange Rajesh
MCA:VSem