Re: www.debian.org Web Design

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ra=FAl_Fuenzalida?= <lancer2@tie.cl>

> I made another draft, this time more accessible I think:
> http://www.lancer2.tie.cl/debian_2.html

Invalid html due to the extra <body>. Please check with tidy.

The debian logo has no size set and a blank alt tag.

Quite a few warnings at
URL:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lancer2.tie.cl%2Fdebian_2.html&usermedium=all
the W3C validator, which are mostly colour-related. I don't
like mid-grey on white and grey for the body text, because
it's rather hard on the eyes. See number 1 on
URL:http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html
Jakob Nielsen's latest "Top Ten Web Design Mistakes"

No links seem to be underlined, even in the body text, which is
no.2 on the above list. Please underline links in main text. Use
URL:http://colorfilter.wickline.org/
to see just how difficult your colour-only links might be for
pretty much all colour-blind people (as far as I can tell!).

The page continues the current front page's mistake of having
two navigation spaces, along the top and the left, which are
showing some of the same things. There's an odd-looking wrap
around the bottom of the left menu, and no "skip to main text"
for non-CSS users.

And a nitpick: the title tag says "Operationg" instead of "Operating".

On the plus side, I like what you've done with the watermark behind
the main text and I think the updated top bar is an improvement.
Maybe I'd prefer it in a shade of debian red, keeping blue for links.

Apart from the lack of "skip" link, it works fairly easily for my
non-CSS browsers. I'd like to see XML button links for the RDF by
the security news, but that's page content more than design.

Thanks for working on that,
--
MJ Ray (slef), Lynn, Norfolk, Eastern England
Personal email - see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html